Does your dog have what it takes to be a star? Looking for his or her big bark on the stage? The Kindleberger Arts is searching for the perfect pooch to play the role of Toto, Dorothy’s furry companion, in our upcoming summer production of The Wizard of Oz, the Family Musical of the 40th Kindleberger Summer Festival of the Performing Arts!
For your dog to be considered for the role of Toto, the handler and dog must meet the following requirements:
- We are looking for a dog that resembles Toto as closely as appeared in the MGM film. A Cairn Terrier, Scottie or Westie ideally. We are open to other breeds, but we prefer they have that Toto look about them. Weigh approximately 8-15 lbs.
- Well trained. Able to sit in a basket, follow Dorothy around the stage. Responsive to commands of “come here”, “sit”, etc.
- Calm temperament: Must have a relaxed personality, gentle nature, good with people. The dog should be tolerant of tap-dancing and other loud noises or sudden movements, comfortable being held by “strangers”(fellow actors), and carried in a basket.
- We do not expect your dog to perform tricks but let us know if your dog knows any.
- Experience: Although not necessary, if your dog has some stage experience or is comfortable around large crowds, it will be preferred. Even the most confident of dogs can suddenly be affected by the lights, the orchestra, and the huge round of applause the company is bound to receive. Crate training is a bonus while the dog enjoys a snack and water break offstage.
Rehearsals for The Wizard of Oz are Sunday through Thursday, (excluding Memorial Day) beginning Tuesday, May 23rd. The show runs Wed, July 6th – Sun, July 10th. Handler and dog must attend all performances and required rehearsals.
If you think your dog would suit the role of Toto and you and “your little dog too” can commit to the show’s schedule, please email a photo or video (30 seconds or less) of your dog with a brief description and dog’s name to Ken Holda, Family Musical Director, at email@example.com. Don’t forget to include your own details and phone number. Please put ‘Toto Auditions’ in the subject line. The submission deadline is May 15, 2022.